Covid

MASKING SAVES LIVES

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

"I Was Not Prepared for the Horrors I Saw"

Read the amazing story of courageous Hedy Epstein. An 82-year old Jew who is sailing on a boat into Gaza to test the Israeli claim that the occupation there is over. She has been to Palestine several times before. Whole article is here:
http://www.counterpunch.org/cattori06132007.html

"Silvia Cattori: As a holocaust survivor, is it uncomfortable for you to denounce the brutality by the Israelis against the Palestinian people?

"Hedy Epstein: I was never in a camp, because of my parent's sacrifice of getting me out, so I never had the worst kind of experience that survivors have had - but I know what it's like to be discriminated against. I knew Hitler's murderous intent between 1933 and 1939, during which time my father was sent to the concentration camp called Dachau in 1938. He came back after four weeks, but he was no longer the same father that I knew, because he was an old, broken man when he came back.

"And because I know what it's like, I feel I have a duty and a responsibility to fight the injustices that happen to other people. I can't do everything, and there are problems all over the world, but I decided that the Israeli government's treatment of the Palestinian people is an issue I am going to protest against, and I will try to do whatever I can.

"The model for holocaust survivors has been "Never again," and "Remembering," and I certainly do my share of "Remembering", but "Remembering" also has to have a future perspective. You can't stop at "Remembering" and saying "Never again" for Jews only. When I stood next to that terrible wall that Israel has built, separating Palestinian from Palestinian, I thought, "My God, this is what Jews are doing, the Jews that one time were forced behind walls, they are building a wall, and putting Palestinians behind that wall, and in the process destroying buildings, homes, wells, and hope."

No comments: