Covid

MASKING SAVES LIVES

Monday, August 17, 2009

Seattle Boycott of Idan Raichel Project -- Ambassador for Israel




A description of the first night (we were there for the Tuesday show also -- pics are from Tuesday) from one of the organizers/participants:
The Idan Raichel Project protest last night turned out to be interesting in a somewhat unexpected ways. I will try and summarize that evening briefly.
First, even though our local (Seattle) Palestine activism listserv is infiltrated, with some recipients on it who clearly have signed on just to find out what we’re up to, and bring on the haters to our events, this time, there were no counter-protesters.
The concert was scheduled to start at 7 p.m., this is in a venue (the Triple Door) which is not a concert hall, but a cozy restaurant with a stage, so we knew people would be trickling in early, to have a table/booth and drinks/appetizers before the performance. We were there at 5:45 p.m, handing out two different types of handbill, one specifically about the IRP (whitewashing Israeli war crimes), another about the situation in Gaza. There were quite a few of us, and I’d say we gave out the literature to most of the audience :-)
Shortly after we had gotten there, none other than Idan himself (with his bodyguard) came out to talk to us, because someone had told him there were protesters outside the venue. I immediately recognized him when I saw a small-ish young man with brown-not-black dreadlocks coming out and looking around, and I went straight to him and asked “Are you Idan,” he said “Yes, I was told there were protesters outside, so I would like to talk to you about what I do, who I am….”
We shook hands, I told him I appreciated his coming out to talk to us, and explained that we were protesting him as part of the boycott of Israeli “cultural ambassadors” who whitewash Israeli war crimes.
He responded with “Let me tell you about the Idan Raichel Project. We are a very large group, reaching about 85 musicians at times, some are Arab, others are ultra-right wing Zionists, and we are not political, we are strictly about Israeli culture, I want to present my culture, Israeli culture, and I steer away from politics.”
I told him that, from my readings about him, he wants to project Israeli culture as a culture of tolerance and multiculturalism, and he nodded eagerly, saying he felt that his contribution was to push his society further into “tolerance and multiculturalism,” hence his inclusion of Arabs in the band. He loves introducing Israelis, who otherwise homogenize all Arabs as “Hamas,” to such wonders as Mahmoud Darwish, Fairuz, and Umm Kulthum.
We talked for quite a while, and all he kept repeating was that he is not political, strictly cultural, and I tried hard to make him grasp that the two are inseparable, and that, besides, he is fully political in many ways that we have researched. I told him that we have read his support for the Gaza assault, and he denied that. Here’s the quote, in a March 2009 article in the Forward: “While Raichel’s music bears explicit and implicit messages of love, Raichel is perhaps a bit more realpolitik than his dreadlocks suggest. He defends Israel’s recent Gazan incursion: “Israel had to protect cities in southern Israel from being bombed — and they’d been bombed not for eight hours, and not eight days, and not eight months, but eight years. For eight years, Hamas was bombing five cities in Israel. I think that the Palestinian people are victims of the Hamas organization.”
I told him about the damning Gush Shalom press release about him, and he said he doesn’t care what Gush Shalom says. I told him he should care.
At some point, we talked about settlements, and he says he only plays in settlements that, by International Law, would eventually be part of Israel. I told him every single settlement is illegal, according to International Law, and he acted like he didn’t know that. Then we somehow got onto the two-state (dis)solution, and I said something about “what, the 17% of historic Palestine that would make up the Palestinian state?” and he said he doesn’t know what percent of historic Palestine remains, to the Palestinians. I told him he should know that.
Basically, it was all denial of statements he has made (such as the one in Forward), claims of ignorance, and claims of being all about culture, not politics. Eventually, he needed to go in to his show, and offered me a free ticket, and I said no, I have not been convinced that he is not whitewashing Israeli crimes, and that I/we will continue to protest and boycott his shows until he denounces Israel’s crimes. He insisted that he refuses to make any political statement, and I quoted him Arhundati Roy: “The trouble is, once you see it, it can’t be unseen. And once you see it, saying nothing, doing nothing becomes as political an act as speaking out. There is no neutrality. Either way, you are accountable.”
So…. he gave me his email address, after making me promise I would not share/publicize it, and said he would be happy to continue the conversation. I most certainly will contact him.
I do have to say, to his credit, that he is NOT arrogant at all, and that he actually asked his bodyguard to basically shut up, when his bodyguard aggressively (tone and posture) yelled at me “You support the Khamas suicide bombers.” But he is most certainly an intellectual lightweight.
He’s playing tonight also, and we will be there, to convey the message that he has not convinced us he is all culture, no politics.
Quote above from Body on the Line here: http://bodyontheline.wordpress.com/2009/08/14/los-ziongeles/

6 comments:

Amy said...

this makes me sad, I love his music, he could've been a great figure to support palestinian people, what a shame

NOBLESSE OBLIGE said...

I mostly love Idan's music, his musical talent would have reached accordance to heights as love and justice...

Rise up Idan,
show us what you are made of.

Anonymous said...

then what did you want Idan to do, give you a blowjob? He was very decent and respectful of you and did not want to mix politics with music!!!
im sorry that he is not a heavyweight intellectual like you, but nowadays who gives a fuck what one idiot said 100 years ago!!! Let go and forget, my family lost everything from turkey in 1922 and we dont go around complaining about it. And Greeks lived there for thousands of years eg Troy. Let go and forgive, hate brings more hate eventually, and actually the Hamas, Hezbollah are not saints in this game

LJansen said...

Your family lost everything in 1922 -- so Palestinians should just give up and leave????

If you see injustice in the world, you need to stand against it. It is like a cancer and will grow and grow.

I'm sorry about your family losses, but it does not translate into joining the Israelis in oppressing the Palestinians!

Anonymous said...

I am not joining the israeli side nor the palestinian but it seems to me that everybody has a right in this land.

should i evict the turks in instanbul simply because greeks lived there 400 years ago? no why? there is no justice in this world evidently and im sorry to declare we are the underdogs in this case.

there is no such thing as secured land in the middle east or the balkans, today is Israeli tommorrow syrian tha day after jordanian etc. that is what westeners do not understand.

LJansen said...

Okay, I gave "anonymous" one more chance.

Human rights do not come from statehood. That's true, but we all need to struggle toward the goal of equality among human beings.

Israel uses force that is backed by the U.S. to maintain the land it stole from Palestinians. We need to point that out and help the Palestinians get at least human rights, if not their whole land back.