Covid

MASKING SAVES LIVES

Friday, April 04, 2008

A Gaza Diary

Portion below; whole thing here: http://www.uruknet.de/?s1=1&p=42725&s2=04

As I said before the case is not limited only to cloth and food, but it is expanded to include medications, baby formula, and mostly clean water. All of us know that even before the siege, Gaza is suffering from a shortage in drinking clean water, however, the situation become worse with the siege issue, it is not only a shortage in the clean water, but also in the materials that added to the water in Gaza to be treated well so the people can drink it. I heard many warnings that we should boil the water before drinking it, since then I notice that the water we for wash; cook, and for shower is smelly, but I can’t stop myself from using it because I don’t have an alternative. At that point I lost hope that things will become better, nothing is left, and we are sealed from all corners even in our humanity, and in ourselves.

In simple words, we have to live in Gaza with the minimum healthy environment for humans, where we have to face all kinds of shortage, in food, medications, health care, schools, and basic needs.

With such kind of life, how come the Israelis are demanding and asking us to be normal, to live normally, and to stop hating them?

If I as a human being don’t have the proper aspects of life then how can I live normally?

And what difference does it make when our lives become meaningless to us, when death become one of our options to end such a miserable life? Gaza and its people are suffocated by the injustice of others, our capacity to endure such life will not remain forever, but what would be the reaction taken by my people? I wonder!!!

-Najwa Sheikh is a Palestinian refugee from al-Majdal located just north of the Gaza Strip. Shiekh has lived in refugee camps in Gaza her entire life where she is married and has three children. She contributed this article to PalestineChronicle.com



No comments: