Covid

MASKING SAVES LIVES

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

"Free" & Ruined Lives--Layla Anwar

Layla Anwar from An Arab Woman Blues (portion below). Whole searing thing: http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article17952.htm

"Two thousand "free souls" flee a day. They amass at frontiers, waiting for a stamp on that damned Green passport...that cursed passport.The passport with a broken winged eagle as an emblem. Clipped wings of Freedom.It reads "Republic of Iraq."Republic of whom? Iraq? What Iraq?

"Two thousand a day. Grave faces, desperate eyes, lost voices...A forgotten, abandoned people. A despised, humiliated, tortured, stolen people.A raped people.Lost voices in the wilderness of your indifference. The Lost voices of Freedom and Democracy..."

I have 8 children. Look at how I am living. Has anyone asked me
how I feed those kids. I have been without a job for 2 years.
I tell you how I feed them...I can't feed them. I spit on
the U.N. I spit on the thief Bush. If I ever return to Iraq
it will be to free my country from those criminals. I will either
kill or be killed by them. There is no other way " says this
worn out father who looks 3 times his age.

" The Iraqi government helping us? Are you insulting me or what?
The Iraqi government has not and will never do anything for us.
These are the most corrupt people in power that Iraq has
ever known. They are sectarians and thieves. I don't want
this passport. Take it now. I don't want this nationality. I am
even willing to go to Somalia. Just find me a solution. Take
that passport. Take it." says another father of 32."

The Americans bombed my house. My 9 year old son was
inside. Look at his face. He is burnt all over. His eyes
are stuck and he cannot open them. His tongue is
stuck to his palate and he cannot talk or swallow. And his
head was stuck to his shoulder. He has already undergone
9 operations and he needs another 9... He is only 9 years old.
Look at him. I, myself, have 3 bullets lodged in my body.
I served the Iraqi Army for 24 years. One in my thigh.
One below my ribs and one in my back. I need surgery too.
But I am not important. My son is. How will I manage?
On my way here, highway bandits took all my money. I sold the
house to come here. Now I have nothing. The boy needs
treatment. No school is willing to accept him. One school
did but the other students rejected him. They said he
frightened them with his looks."

The father wipes his tears and you can see the look of being stuck in "Freedom". 'Ah the look of America on his and his son's face. The look of " Freedom ".

Found at Information Clearinghouse.info

No comments: