Covid

MASKING SAVES LIVES

Thursday, January 11, 2007

U.S., Ethiopian attacks “killed 100 Somali civilians”

"More than 100 Somali civilians have been killed this week in U.S. and Ethiopian air strikes in southern Somalia, according to clan elders and residents.

"Sheikh Abdullahi Ali Malabon, an elder in the badly hit Afmadow area said Thursday 100 bodies had been counted.

"We have sent a team to assess the casualties there and they have confirmed more than 100 people killed," he told AFP. “Many others were wounded but we don't have an exact number."

"Residents in other villages closer to the Kenyan border reported at least 100 civilian deaths, but stressed that they only found 29 bodies, some burned beyond recognition.

"'I was with a team sent to the bombardment areas near the Dhobley village to bury the dead, what I have seen was really terrible," said Absuge Mohamed Weli, a Dhobley resident.

"'I counted 29 dead people, some of them burned so they could not be identified, and we have buried them," he said. "A lot of people were also wounded."

"'I have seen more dead bodies in the forest, I recognized some of them and they were local civilians," Weli said. "They were killed while keeping their animals. I have also seen animals, most of them cows, dead in villages."

I think I saw this on Cursor.org

No comments: