Covid

MASKING SAVES LIVES

Sunday, May 27, 2007

"You're Making Some People Here Nervous"

"I was there to support a graduating classmate. Sitting in the front row among proud parents, family and friends of graduating students, I was captivated by the speaker's words.

"'Nations and people do have dominant characteristics, and it's a good time, a necessary time, to think briefly about our own essential characteristics. What others think about us, how we see ourselves, and how we actually are, matters."

"But, the sense of awe did not last long. Two portly university security guards brought me back to reality.

"'Please come with us," one of them ordered. He caught me off guard. When I asked why, he told me, "You're making some people here nervous."

"It was disturbing to think that nothing more than my Middle Eastern appearance had aroused someone's suspicion. More shocking was the blunt inquiry of one of the guards about my national origin.

"I told him I was a US citizen. After showing forms of identification, including my card from the BBC Persian Service, he commented: "So, you're from Persia. Aren't Babylon and the Tigris River in Persia?"

"Officials at Georgetown say they have strict policies prohibiting racial and ethnic profiling, and have begun an investigation into the matter.

Courtesy BBC via Doug

No comments: